Mommies…How are you handling your kitchen? I am sure many will be facing difficulties in the cleaning part. In today’s post we are trying to help you out by providing few kitchen cleaning tips. Kitchen is the place that can be messed up so easily, we often feel buried under chores and so don’t get enough time to clean our kitchen.
It seems like the only way our kitchen can be clean is, if you dedicate an entire week for it. You can change it with no doubt. Here are few kitchen cleaning tips that helps you clean your kitchen in manageable chunks of time. So grab your rubber gloves and get ready to spend a few minutes making your kitchen look as fresh as the day you moved in.
Following are few Kitchen Cleaning Tips to be followed for a perfect kitchen
1. DIY Orange Peel Cleanser
Citrus fruits are known for their acidity and aroma. We usually throw away the peels with out using them. You can make a strong natural cleanser using Orange peels,which gives aromatic smell as well as makes your kitchen chemical free. Follow the below mentioned procedure to make your own cleanser.
- Orange peels,(other citrus fruits like lemon peels also can be used)-1 cup
- White vinegar-1/2 cup
- Water-1/2 cup
- In to a bowl pour vinegar until it reaches half. Fill the other half with water
- Transfer the citrus peels into an air tight container.
- Pour the water vinegar mix to the peels until the peels are fully immersed in the liquid.
- Close the lid and let it remain closed for two weeks
- Strain it, fill it in a spray bottle and use this liquid for cleansing
2. Baking Soda
Save a bundle on cleaning your home with this cheap alternative to store-
Baking Soda can be used effectively in following ways
- Remove stains from coffee and tea mugs: Fill mugs with one part baking soda and two parts water and let sit over night. Scrub and rinse in the morning.
- Remove odors from food containers: Simply rinse containers with baking soda and water to remove smells. Let sit overnight if necessary.
- Remove burnt food from the bottoms of pots and pans: Sprinkle baking soda over the burnt areas, add hot water and let sit over night. Scrub in the morning.
- Polish silver wares: Make a paste with three parts baking soda, one part water and rub onto the silver with a clean cloth. Rinse with water.
- Clean spills in the oven: Scrub the bottom of the oven with steel wool and baking soda. (Note: If you have a self-cleaning oven, don’t use this method).
2. White Vinegar For Cleansing
White vinegar is acidic, which makes it a potent cleaner, but it can also make it too strong for some types of cleaning, in which case you can dilute it with water. It is a household product you can use for a variety of things! Go for the natural option and find out uses & tips for cleaning with vinegar here.
- Hard water stain can be removed, burnt pot ,wooden floor can be cleaned with white vinegar and salt.
- Clean your coffeemaker by running the machine with equal parts of water and vinegar. Halfway through the cycle, turn it off and let it sit for an hour. Then complete the cycle.
- Unclog the drain by pouring 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup baking soda down the drain. Rinse with water.
4. Use Few Utensils
I have seen many kitchens with lot of utensils stuffed,which make that kitchen congested. One must use only required amount of utensils at home. So it will be easy to handle the utensils with less effort.
- Use less utensils and you will have less to wash
- Clean the utensils immediately after use and use the same vessels again
- Don’t dump vessels in your sink for cleaning
- Make sure that you dry the vessels after cleaning
5. Salt For Cleaning
From cleaning house to preserving food to helping soothe your aches and pains, salt can tackle even the toughest jobs. Most people find that the kitchen is the most difficult room in their home to keep clean.
With its endless supply of spills, drips, greasy pans, dirty dishes and foot traffic, kitchen cleanup can certainly feel like an endless series of tasks. In this segment, you will see how salt can be a weapon in the battle to keep the kitchen clean. Once you start testing the solutions, you will be amazed by the power of salt.
The following are the ways to use salt for cleaning
Coffee and Tea cups :Remove tea or coffee stains from light-colored cups and mugs by rubbing the stained areas with salt and a little water. Then wash the mug as usual.
Ovens: If a pie or similar sugary item boils over in your oven, sprinkle the sticky spill with salt. Let it sit until spilled area becomes crisp, then lift it off with a spatula when the oven cools.
Refrigerators: To clean and refresh the inside of your refrigerator, sprinkle equal amounts salt and baking soda on a damp sponge and wipe the refrigerator surfaces.
Stoves: Any spill on your stove top can be cleaned up more easily if they are sprinkled with salt first. The mildly abrasive quality of salt removes stuck-on food
Pots and pans: Get rid of excess grease in a roasting pan by first sprinkling it with salt. Then wipe the pan with a damp sponge or paper towel, and wash as usual.
6. Lemon Grass Oil
Lemongrass is commonly known for its health benefits, but the oil actually can be used for many purposes due to its high concentration. Its aroma is lemony and grassy, but also a little bitter and pungent. Because its synthetic aroma is used in so many convention cleaners.
Lemon Grass Oil can be used in the following ways
Lemon Grass Oil: Put few drops of lemon grass oil on to a wet cloth to wipe the kitchen floor,shelves and table. It will give a nice aromatic smell.
Make a home made cleanser: In a dark glass jar, combine the olive oil, vinegar, water, and lemongrass oil. Pour a small amount into a spray bottle to use as needed.
7. Black Tea
Tea provides plenty of health benefits and the left overs can also be used in your household for practical purposes. So if you are into recycling and like to discover new uses for everything that is recyclable, take a look at the unexpected ways tea can be used for cleaning kitchen.
Black tea can be used for cleaning in the following ways
- Black tea can be used for removing grease, cleaning oil stains, removing rust for shiny stove.
- Place cold brewed tea in a spray bottle and use it to make mirrors and windows sparkle.
- To restore the shine and color of the wood floor, dip a cloth with brewed tea and rub it against the floor, but make sure to remove the excess liquid before applying the cloth on the wood flooring. Clean the surface normally and then let it air dry.
- If your fridge stinks lately, due to all the leftovers, you can simply place a used tea bag on a shelf and it will absorb the unpleasant odors.
- For removing fishy smells you can use the same trick, as it works wonders after preparing a fish dish – just rinse your hands with warm or cold tea and odors will be removed.
8. Clear Your Garbage Every Day
Yes clearing your garbage every day is required to maintain a clean kitchen. Make sure that garbage is not dumped for days. Clear it off everyday. Getting into the habit of taking out the trash and recycling every day when you leave the house will prevent garbage pileup and keep things smelling fresh. If you have a garden make use of the vegetable wastes,peels etc to make your own compost at home.
9. Clean All Your Appliances Once In A Week
Cleaning your appliances like refrigerator,mixer,Oven Etc once in a week, will make your work less than cleaning it when it is messed up or you have some guest. You can use any of the above mentioned cleansers to give a clean and new look to your appliances.Use gloves to protect your hands from all the cleansers that makes it dry. Also change your kitchen towels once in a week.
10. Organize Your Kitchen Properly
Kitchen organisation comes as part of cleaning kitchen
Organizing your kitchen:
- keeps your kitchen clean all the time
- Sort out all things in the kitchen
- Makes cooking easy
- Saves Time
Read more about Kitchen Organization Ideas – An Illustrated Guide
11. Use Good Quality Dish Washer
Good quality dish washer is very much essential for a healthy kitchen. It will remove all the bacteria out of dishes which will keep you healthy. Dish wash liquid works better than bars. Dish wash bars makes your hands too dry.
12. Keep The Cockroaches Out
Cockroaches are big head ache as far as kitchens are concerned.There are many sprays and chemical gels available in the market to get rid of cockroaches. But why to go behind those chemicals when you can get the same results with naturally available ingredients. Few methods are described below.
- Seal the holes and cracks in the kitchen
- Fix the water leakage
- Put some soap water over the Cockroaches. As it breaths through the skin, it makes it difficult for them to breath.
- The most effective oils at repelling roaches are cypress oil and peppermint oil. To make a non-toxic roach spray, mix 8 drops of cypress oil and 10 drops of peppermint oil to half a cup of water. Spray the mixture anywhere you have roach issues.
- The added benefit is that these oils smell lovely. No gas masks required. Make sure you use a glass spray bottle because essential oils are potent and can melt the plastic.
- Roaches loves dirty environments. They like a sink full of unwashed dishes and trash cans that should have been emptied yesterday. You can do yourself a great service by simply keeping the house, especially the kitchen, as clean as possible.
- Since roaches are very active at night, washing up the dishes and taking out the trash before bed can go a long way toward decreasing the roach population in your home.
Lemon is a natural disinfectant and stain remover because of their acidic nature. As an added bonus, lemon will leave your house with a pleasant scent. Its availability in all seasons makes it all time favorite.
- Clean laminate counter tops and cutting boards: Squeeze the juice of a lemon onto the counter or cutting board. Rub the lemon into the stains and let sit until the stains disappear, then rinse.
- Remove stains from food storage containers: Squeeze the juice of a lemon into the containers, then add a little baking soda. Rub the mixture into the stains. Let sit overnight if necessary.
- Clean your microwave: Slice a lemon, put it in a bowl of water and microwave it for 45 seconds. This should make stains easier to wipe away and eliminate unpleasant odors.
- Keep your refrigerator smelling nice: If you want your fridge to have a fresh scent, simply put half a lemon inside.
This acidic cleanser can cause harm to certain surfaces, so it is not wise to use them over painted surfaces.
Of all the rooms in your home, the kitchen is the one that needs attention every day. Kitchen is the heart and center of the home, but it gets dirty fast. If the kitchen is clean we often feel half the house is clean. Cleaning your kitchen can be made effort less by following some kitchen rules.
The above mentioned check list will help you in making your kitchen clean and clear. Kitchen cleaning tips are elaborately explained in this article. Hope it will help you in your routine kitchen cleaning. If you have any other kitchen cleaning hacks feel free to share with us.