Need tips on how to dress according to your body type?
Can the right style of dress hide your body flaws?
How to choose dresses that suit your body?
Confused about body shapes and what to wear?
If you seeking answers to these questions, then you have come to the right place. If you feel, that you do not need any guidance with regards to your dress and wardrobe, even then I would urge you to read on. What if you have something interesting to share?
We often complain that we do not have anything good to wear. Most of us spend a lot of time wondering what to wear that will hide all our flaws.
Picture this, there is a family function coming up and you need to choose a dress. How will you do it? Steal a celeb style? Replicate something you saw a friend or colleague wear? If your answer is yes, then you need to read this post. I promise, it will change the way you pick out clothes the next time.
Why does our body keep changing?
A lot of us complain that we don’t look as good as how we looked in our 20’s.
Our body type keeps changing from time to time. The factors that cause these changes vary. It could be puberty, child birth, sickness, menopause or weight gain. It is not just food, hormones, certain medication etc can cause a change in your body type. Now we can’t freeze the biological clock. We can eat healthy and exercise to keep our body tones but we can’t completely control how our body will be in the years to come.
But one thing we can do is to dress according to our body type.
It is essential to understand and acknowledge our body type and dress accordingly to highlight our best body attributes and taking focus off the bits we don’t like as much. This helps in making you look and feel great. Think about this, imagine how you would look if you wear a dress that is a size too big or a size too small?
A dress can actually make or break how you look!
How to dress according to your body type
Celebrities have stylists who help them pick out the dresses they wear, but what about us? How to pick flattering dresses for body type?
Don’t you give up just yet!
Actually you do not have to be a creative genius to know how to dress well. Just follow some of the guidelines mentioned below and be ready to rock n roll.
The first step is to figure out your body type. This will help you understand the type of material, cuts and prints that work for your body type. You may find yourself lamenting that despite buying the same dress your favourite celeb wore, you weren’t looking too great? It is probably because that particular style wasn’t playing to your strengths. Choosing the right dress is just like doing your makeup right. Do not go with – one thing will suit all. You have to accentuate your best features and carefully conceal the ones you aren’t too happy about.
So it actually doesn’t matter if you are tall, short, curvy or petite. You can still look gorgeous, if you dress right. And dear ladies, do not forget to wear your invisible crown-your confidence. That and a smile and you are good to go.
Now let us take a look at the four body types and the types of dresses that will suit each body type.
Apple shaped women accumulate fat around the abdominal area. They generally have narrow hips, larger breasts and a relatively large waist.
New mommies will relate to this shape as they still have the excess baby fat to shed off. (Don’t worry and fret about the weight, once those little ones start getting mobile then you will be able to shed all that 😉 )
Women post 40 years also tends to carry weight around the waist as a result of menopause.
It can be quite tricky to dress up such body type. Most women make the mistake of adding baggy clothes to their wardrobe without realizing that they are not going to work, at all! So do not make that mistake as it will only make you look frumpy.
If this is your body type, let us look at how to dress an apple shaped body type by following these tips-
- Neckline- Wear a V neck more often to break up the size of your chest.
- Waist -Dresses with the waist line just below the bust should be preferred. Think empire waist.
- Panels – Wear dresses with dark panels on both eth sides to create an illusion of a leaner you.
- Bottom wear- It should be either straight or flared. You should stay away from pleated bottom wear.If you have good legs, highlight them. Wear slight A-line skirts preferably below the knee length.
- Detailing -Avoid details and excess material which creates volume near your bust or tummy area. This is so that you aren’t inviting attention to the area that you want to hide.
Aishwarya Rai embraced pregnancy and after pregnancy weight gain with great dignity and grace.
She was a great role model for many new moms as she spread the message of accepting the changes that came with motherhood. But did that mean she didn’t look great? No, she still looked and looks stunning!
Here you can see, she has worn a v necked Indian dress. It is fitting till the bust and then it flares out from there. The detailing is subtle and it takes the focus away from the problem areas. Not to forget full length sleeves to cover up the heavy arms.
Also check out Oprah Winfrey playing it smart. The beautiful gown may look simple but is successful in hiding the problem areas.
This is the most common body size/type for females. Like the fruit, a pear shaped body has leaner upper half and is heavier from waist down. They have narrow shoulders, a small bust and comparatively heavier hips and thighs.
If this is your body type, then your goal is to accentuate your upper half and downplay your lower half.
Here’s how you can do it
- Silhouette – Wear fit and flare dresses that are tight till a little beneath the bust area and a flare from there on. A strapless top or spaghetti stripes are more preferred to keep the spotlight on the upper half.
- Bottom wear- Wear A- line skirts, it falls around your body perfectly without making it look baggy or clingy. Do not go for short skirts, it will make you look short.
- Heels – Heels will help to give the illusion of a taller frame. It will also make the legs look leaner. Avoiding heels can make you look shorter than you really are.
- Ethnic – If you choose to wear ethnic then sari is lovely for you. It loves a pear shaped body and flatters it completely. If you do not want to wear a sari or are not comfortable in one then you can turn to the anarkali. Thanks to those dresses, we can hide those heavy hips and thighs.
Kim Kardashian, the reality star and fashionista, knows her way around fashion. You can certainly draw inspiration from her style. She loves her curvy self and is confident to show it off.
Note how the pear shaped beauty has worn a flared skirt with skinnier belt on the waist and a sleeveless deep neck top. It helps in highlighting her tiny waist, toned arms. It also hides her hip (not that she’s afraid to flaunt it) and thighs.
If you want examples from closer to home, then we have Madhuri. Look at our dhak dhak girl rocking an ethnic look. Here she is seen wearing an anarkali dress with a heavily embellished top that draws the focus on the upper half.
The belt like embroidery above the waist and the minimal embroidery on the bottom ensures that the top of the body is where the focus stays. The bottom part of the dress is flared and it nicely covers the bottom half.
#3. Hour glass
Hour glass body type is considered to be an ideal body type.
A lot of people crave this body type. Here the bust and hips are proportionate, having the same size and the waist is narrow. But despite having an amazing body type, you can go wrong if you do not choose the right type of silhouettes.
If hour glass is your body type, then these tips are for you-
- Neckline – Wear bust enhancing neck lines to add feminine touch to your outfit. Sweetheart, V neck, scoop neck or cowl necks are some of them that will work for you.
- Waist – Your tiny waist is an asset, wear waist defining dresses and tops. High waist skirts and crop tops are meant for you.
- Wrap around dresses – These were practically created for you as they will flatter your curves.
- Accessories- Add and array of belts to your wardrobe. Big or small, it doesn’t matter. Any belt teamed with a nice outfit can work wonders on your hour glass body shape.
Priyanka Chopra and Scarlett Johansson flaunting their perfect hour glass figure. Priyanka has chosen a fitted skirt and a crop top that accentuates her frame and Scarlett’s black gown also ticks all the right boxes when it comes to style.
The definition for this body type does need an explanation. It is actually pretty straightforward. A rectangle body shape means that your structure is fairly straight up and down. Your hip and shoulder has the same width and the structure is masculine and quite athletic.
The difference between the hourglass and the rectangle is that here you have little or no waist definition. Hence, here the styling goal should be to create an illusion of a curve around the waist and to define it. That is possible if you choose the perfect fit for your type.
- Prints – Add florals and detailing to your clothes. Wearing floral prints and tops with detailed on them (ruffles, beads, bows, studs etc) will help to give a feminine touch.
- Accessory – Belts are the most essential accessory for you. It will help in trimming down the waist.
- Slits – Dresses with slits/ cuts on the side will help to create the illusion of a curvy waist.
- Bottom wear – Fitted pants and skirts will help to add more shape to the body.
- Neckline- Halter necks can be your friend. Go for a halter neck with V neck as it gives an appearance of a well-shaped bust and shows off your back.
Look at Anushka Sharma and Cameron Diaz have chosen their clothes wisely! Anushka’s gown with the V neckline and ruffles add a feminine charm.
Diaz on the other hand has used a broad belt to cinch her waist and a fitted skirt that hugs her hips and thighs. Both styles play to the strengths of the body type.
Ladies, you do not have to follow the above guidelines strictly. It is not supposed to be a rule book, but I have put it together so that I can give you an idea of what kind of outfit can suit your body type.
The most important thing is to embrace and love your body the way it is. And remember -It’s not about the size you wear but the way you wear your size.
You do not have to ape a celeb style to look good, you can look good by choosing something that fits well. There is no point wearing something that you aren’t comfortable with.
- Quick makeup routine for busy moms
- Choosing the right lipstick- a beginner’s guide
- 7 quick styling and grooming tips for moms who are always short of time
Dear mommas, now that you know how to dress according to your body type all that is left is to use this knowledge to look like a diva!
Share your comments and queries in the comment box below!