If I had to ditch all my makeup and choose only one thing, that will be the lipstick, hands down.
So let’s talk about lipsticks – types, how to go about choosing the right lipstick and how to use one.
Why was lipstick invented?
To jazz up your day!! 🙂
They can instantly make your face bright, attractive and dramatically improve your look. The right shade can make your eyes look brighter, define your lips and make your face look slimmer. Lipsticks hydrate, nourish and provide sun protection to your lips.
Once you feel good about yourself, everything feels great. Cleopatra felt so too ☺Yet most of us tend to shy away from wearing it.
Now that you know what lipstick can do for you, let us have a detailed look at lipsticks and learn to choose the right one for you.
Different type of lipsticks available:
There are a lot of lipstick brands, but more than the brands, you need to know the type of lipstick that’s best suited for you.
The different types of lipsticks available are:
They provide amazing color pay off, however they might be a tad dry as they don’t have any moisturizing particles (of late we do have non drying matte ones).
They have a matte finish or in layman terms, they are not glossy. They tend to be long wear lipsticks.
Colorbar velvet matte lipsticks are perfect if you are looking exclusively for matte shades.
Please be advised, at times they tend to highlight the dryness and wrinkles of your lips.
They contain more wax when compared to matte, so they condition your lips more. They also glide easily, however at times they tend to run more and also aren’t long lasting when compared to matte ones.
Lakme 9 to 5 creasless creme lipstick is a perfect example for creme lipsticks.
- Shimmer or frost
They contain light reflecting particles and hence is ideal for parties and special occasions. Elle 18 color pops in the shade fuscia fancy is a shimmery shade.
- Long wear
These tend to give you longer lasting color, so you don’t have to reapply them often.
At times it is like a two part system, you apply base, which has the color, and then top it off with a gloss.
Colorbar full finish long wear lipstick in the shade innocently brown is perfect!
Let us not ignore the lip-gloss:
The gloss, true to its name, gives a glossy luster and color to your lips.
When compared to lipstick they might not give a fuller coverage and the lasting power is also less (these days in the market we can get them with good color pay off). They tend to have more moisturizing qualities, when compared to lipsticks.
My pick- Lip Crayons:
Now let me talk about my favorite – Lip crayons.
These are so cute and look like an oversized crayon☺.
It all started with the chubby stick from Clinique and most brands have them. They are like a lipstick / lip balm and gloss all put together in one.
If you are someone who shies away from lipstick, I would say start with a lip crayon. They are easier to use and also come in different finishes. For instance you have crème finish, matte finish and so on.
Choosing the right lipstick shade for you:
Now that we have seen the types of lipsticks, let’s talk about some pointers to keep in mind while choosing a shade and buying one.
There are plenty of lipstick shades available and it can be mind boggling to choose the perfect shade for you, if you use this basic guide, it will make things much easier.
- Darker colors make the lips look smaller, while brighter and lighter shades make them appear bigger.
- For fair skin tones you can choose bright colors and deep ones, while for darker tones pinks, berries and clear red looks great. Having said so, it is up to you to decide what color you want to wear.
- Make sure you try on the lipstick before you buy it. This way you will have an idea about how it looks and feels on your lips.
9 Steps to applying lipstick perfectly:
- Make sure your lips are smooth. Scrub them with a mild lip scrub so that it will take care of all the dead cells and flakiness (If you don’t have one, your tooth brush dipped in a little of sugar will work fine too)
- Moisturize your lips using a lip balm or chap stick
- Some say you need to remove the balm before applying your lipstick, as it needs a dry surface to glide on. I generally tend to keep my balm on, as I have dry lips especially if am using a matte lipstick.
- Next apply a bit of foundation to your lips; this makes sure they don’t bleed.
- If you are comfortable doing it go ahead line your lips with a lip pencil matching your lips.
- Apply the lipstick in a crisscross pattern at the Cupid’s bow, outer corner and bottom of the lip.
- Now fill in the rest of the lips.
- Blot the lips and apply a final layer if required.
- If there is bleeding of color clean up around your lips.
Now that you know all about lipsticks, go ahead and choose one☺.
Did you find this helpful?
How do you choose your shade and which is your favorite type of lipstick?
Do let us know.