This Christmas, are you looking for a cake with a healthy twist?
Wondering how to add those carrots lying in the fridge to your kid’s diet?
Today I have the perfect answer to both the questions listed above – a carrot dates cake recipe.
This homemade carrot cake recipe is made with whole-wheat flour and has the added goodness dates. It is eggless too.
Benefits of carrots:
The various nutritional benefits of carrots are as follows.
- Richest source of vitamin A
- A great source of vitamin C, B6, potassium and fiber
- Lowers rates of heart disease, cholesterol related diseases
- Helps in improving vision
- Helps in building strong bones
- Helps in keeping the nervous system healthy
Benefits of dates:
Dates can benefit you in many ways like,
- Good source of minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium and zinc
- Contains vitamins A and K
- Helps in digestive health
- Relieves constipation
- Good for skin and hair
Step by step carrot dates cake recipe:
You don’t have to wait for Christmas to make this lovely cake as it can make a delightful evening snack for kids. As its eggless, vegetarians can relish it too.
Soak dates overnight or for half an hour in milk and grind to a smooth paste.
Whisk oil, sugar and the dates mixture till smooth. Add in the grated carrots and mix well.
Sieve wheat flour, baking soda and add it to the batter.
Pour into a greased oven tin and bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven at 180 degrees.
Insert a knife into the cake, if it comes clean, cake is cooked properly. Allow to cool and slice.
- Whole wheat flour or atta - 1 cup
- Grated carrots - ½ cup
- Dates - 12 to 15
- Milk - ¾ cup
- Powdered Sugar - ½ cup or as required
- Olive oil - ½ cup
- Baking soda - 1 teaspoon
- Soak dates in warm milk overnight, or half an hour
- Grind it into a smooth paste
- Transfer the dates mixture into a bowl big enough to mix the batter in
- Add oil and sugar to the dates mixture and whisk well till it gets incorporated
- Add in the grated carrots to the batter and mix well
- Now sieve the wheat flour and baking soda and add it to the batter
- Slowly mix the batter but do not over-mix it
- Add the batter to a greased oven tin
- Preheat the oven for to 180 degree and bake for 10 minutes
- Insert a tooth pick and if it comes out clean the cake is ready to serve
- Allow it cool completely and then unmold the cake and cut into slices and serve
- Dates should be deseeded before soaking
- Do not skip soaking of the dates so that it grinds well with milk
- The batter should be of dropping consistency
- In case the batter is thick you can add 1 tablespoon of milk
- Dry fruits can be added to the batter.(If using dry fruits cut into small pieces and then add it to the batter)
- Brown sugar can also be used instead of white sugar; the only difference would be the colour of the cake
- Vanilla essence can also be added for flavour
- A loaf pan can also be used to make the cake
- Carrot tends to soften during baking process so the cake will have a soft texture
- You can use the above recipe to make carrot cupcakes or muffins
This Christmas bake a healthy cake for your family and friends!
Do try this healthy carrot dates cake recipe and let us know in the comments how it turned out. Also let us know if you have any healthy cake recipes.
Happy baking and Happy Christmas!!