Bought asparagus from the market, but have no clue what to prepare with it?
Looking for a simple and quick recipe using asparagus?
You are at the right place.
Today I would like to share an easy and healthy recipe using the exotic Asparagus.
Asparagus stir fry:
This super-quick asparagus stir fry with garlic makes an instant salad that can be had as a healthy dinner for those who are on diet or as a mid-day snack too. I love the vibrant colors in this dish and the flavors are amazing too.
I call it the best stir fried asparagus recipe ever as it is a wonderful combination of tangy taste (bellpeppers) and crunchy texture (asparagus).
You may be wondering how we can cook a veg stir fry in 10 minutes. Well, asparagus gives us the advantage of less cleaning, chopping time and fast cooking time.
Nutritional benefits of asparagus:
Here are the nutritional benefits of asparagus.
- Has disease fighting properties as it strengthens the immune system.
- Asparagus shoots are rich in B-complex group of vitamins such as thiamin and riboflavin.
- Contains a good amount of antioxidants.
- Good in minerals like copper and iron.
Nutritional benefits of red bell peppers:
Red peppers have the maximum nutrition in the bell peppers family, because they’ve been on the vine for the longest time. Here are the benefits of red bell peppers.
- High in Vitamins (Vit C and B6).
- Rich in anti-oxidants.
- Benefits the immune system.
Step by step asparagus stir fry recipe:
Cut the woody ends from the bottom of the asparagus, we won’t be using this. Use only the soft portions for the fry. Cut them into 2 or 3 inch pieces (as per your choice).
Heat oil in a kadai or heavy bottom pan. Add ginger and garlic. Cook for approximately 1 minute so that the oil is infused with the flavors of ginger and garlic.
Add in the chopped bell pepper. Mix everything well and cook for 2-3 minute on a medium flame so that the rawness is gone.
Remove the garlic and ginger piece. Add in the brown sugar and salt along with asparagus. Mix thoroughly and cook all of the things together on a medium high flame for 2-3 minutes. Remember we want to retain the crunch in asparagus so I suggest not overcooking it.
Turn off heat and add the lemon juice and toss. Cut the cheese lengthwise and decorate the salad with the same.
Exotic asparagus stir fry is ready to be served.
Variations: Please feel free to add black pepper or red chili flakes to the recipe.
- Asparagus – 12 to 14 shoots
- Red bell peppers chopped fine - 1 /3 cup
- Garlic - 1 to 2 Pods
- Ginger - 1 small piece
- Sugar - 1 teaspoon ( I have used brown sugar)
- Salt - to taste
- Olive Oil - 1.5 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice – 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Cheese – 1 cube (optional)
- Clean the asparagus.
- Add ginger and garlic to a heated pan and sautee for 1 minute.
- Add chopped bell peppers and cook for 3 minutes on low flame
- Remove ginger and garlic
- Add sugar, salt and asparagus. Mix well and cook on medium flame for another 3 minutes. Remember to retain the crunch.
- Turn off the heat and add lemon juice
- Add cheese cut in long pieces and serve
Hope you all liked this healthy asparagus stir fry recipe.
Do you cook asparagus? Which is your favorite asparagus recipe?
Do share and let us know your feedback in the comments section. You can also share this recipe with your near and dear ones through Facebook and Twitter.